By Maz Woolley
All pictures taken from the Corgi Website.
The latest catalogue from Corgi shows that it is too early for the new regime at Hornby to have had an effect. There are a mere thirty eight items, excluding the catalogue itself. Thirty four if you discount the buses where two different models are sold of same casting and livery, identical but for the destination board. No new castings are introduced in any range, and some ranges, most notably trucks, yet again see no new releases.
Regular reader Andrew Davies points out that at least one of the Vanguards issues is not wholly new. The Triumph Herald police car casting was previously used as a Monmouthshire Constabulary car in a Panda Car twin pack (PC2002) in 1998 during the Lledo era. The computer generated illustration of the new car in Monmouthshire Constabulary livery looks very little different to the old one.
Andrew also notes that the Magenta Stag announced for 2018 appeared in the 2016 catalogue along with a Triumph TR250 but neither was never produced, it is thought due to licensing issues at the time.
It is perhaps a good thing that almost all the models being produced are limited editions as I cannot see there being a strong demand for yet another version of what are now very elderly moulds in some cases. I hope that the next catalogue gets to see the result of the money that we are told is being made available for new tooling or it may be pointless issuing one.
A listing of the new releases follows:
- Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6 ‘Red 8’, Kurt Gabler, Mosquito Hunter, III./JG 300
- Hawker Fury Mk.I, K2065, RAF No.1 Squadron, ‘C’ Flight Leaders Aircraft – 100 Years of the RAF
- Hawker Hurricane Mk.I, V6799 / SD-X Pilot Officer K.W Mackenzie, RAF No.501 Squadron – 100 Years of the RAF
- Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4, Wilhelm Balthasar, 1./JG.1, France 1940
- Avro Lancaster B. Mk.III (Special) ED929 / AJ-L ‘Operation Chastise’ Dams Raid – 100 Years of the RAF
- D.H Mosquito B.IV, DK296 / GB-G Flt. Lt. D A G ‘George’ Parry, RAF No.105 Squadron – 100 Years of the RAF
- Panavia Tornado GR.4 ZA459/F ‘MacRoberts Reply’, 90th Anniversary Scheme – 100 Years of the RAF
- Boeing Chinook HC.4 ZA683 RAF No.27 Squadron, ‘Special Centenary Scheme’ – 100 Years of the RAF
- Focke Wulf Fw190A-8/R2 ‘Black 8’ Unteroffizier Willi Maximowitz, II Staffel (Sturm) IV/JG.3
- BAe Hawk T.1 XX246 / 95-Y RAF No.100 Squadron, 95th Anniversary Scheme – 100 Years of the RAF
- Eurofighter Typhoon T.3 ZK380 No.2(AC) Squadron – 100 Years of the RAF
- SE5a F-904, Major C E M Pickthorn (MC), RAF No.84 Squadron France, November 1918 – 100 Years of RAF
- Douglas C-47A Skytrain™ 315208 ‘Fassberg Flyer’, US Air Force, Berlin Airlift
- Fokker DR.1 Dreidecker, 155/17 Lt. Eberhard Mohnicke, Jasta 11, von Richthofen’s Flying Circus
- Westland Whirlwind HAR.1 XA868 Royal Navy, HMS Protector, 1963
- Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IIa P7823 / TM-F ‘Down Belfast Telegraph Spitfire Fund’ – 100 Years of the RAF
Film and TV range
- James Bond Aston Martin V8 Vantage Volante ‘The Living Daylights’
- James Bond AMC Hornet ‘The Man With The Golden Gun’
- Mr Bean’s Mini
- Bristol Lodekka FS6B, Wilts and Dorset, Cream and Maroon, 38A Bournemouth Limited Stop
- Bristol Lodekka FS6B Wilts & Dorset, Cream and Maroon, 38A Salisbury Limited Stop
- Guy Arab II Burton Corporation, Burgundy and Cream, Anglesy Road
- Guy Arab II Burton Corporation, Burgundy and Cream, Calais Road
- AEC London & Country, Two-Tone Green, Epsom
- AEC London & Country, Two-Tone Green, Leatherhead
- Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 Brighton & Hove Bus and Coach Company, Tunbridge Wells
- Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 Brighton & Hove Bus and Coach Company, Brighton Marina & Queens Park
- Triumph Herald 1200, Monmouthshire Constabulary
- VW Beetle Type 1-11E, British Army, Royal Military Police
- Ford Zephyr 6 Mk3, Spruce Green
- Vauxhall Cresta PA, Alpine Green & Glade Green
- Morris 1800 Mk2 1970 World Cup Rally, 2nd in Ladies’ Prize, 18th overall
- Rover SD1 3500 V8 Vanden Plas, Opaline Green
- Ford Escort Mk1 Mexico Sebring Red
- Triumph Stag Mk2, Magenta
- Ford Granada MkII 2.8i, Sussex Police
- Ford Fiesta Mk1 1100cc ‘Sandpiper II’, Roman Bronze & Solar Gold
- Ford Escort Mk2 1.6 Harrier, Strato Silver
We welcome your comments and questions. Please go to our Model Auto Review Facebook page or email the Editors at maronlineeditor at gmail.com.