Category Archives: Hachette

Hachette Italy World Buses Part 27

By Fabrizio Panico

All text and photographs by, and copyright of, the Author unless otherwise stated.

Parts 79 and 80

Here is the 27th and last part of my summary of the Italian Hachette partwork “Autobus dal mondo”, a collection of eighty 1:43 scale bus models, very similar to the French one “Autobus et autocars du monde”, produced in Bangladesh for Ixo. Here we’ll see two more French buses, a Berliet and a Chausson, but on the other hand we must remember that it is basically a collection of French origins. As an add-on we’ll also see a Fiat 418 Cameri, a model Italian Hachette offered only to the subscribers to the whole Italian collection, but which was available as a standard issue in the French collection.


No. 79 (no. 102 in the French collection) Berliet PCS 10 RATP 1960 – We have already seen the Berliet Crusair 3 (see part 8, no. 22), the PHL 10 (see part 10, no. 30), the PR100 range (Jelcz version, see part 14, no. 40), the PLR 10 (see part sixteen, no. 47), the original 1969 Crusair (see part twenty-one, no. 62) and the 1956 PLR 8 MU (see part twenty-three, no. 69). Berliet is one of the oldest automobile manufacturer, part of Citroën from 1967, then acquired by Renault in 1974 and merged with Saviem into the new RVI in 1978. Berliet produced many different vehicles, but after the Second World War only commercial vehicle production was resumed, and Berliet had to face strong competition from Chausson and Renault. Indeed Berliet had no experience outside the field of heavy commercial vehicles, and choose then to buy Rochet-Schneider for its capacity and it’s ‘know-how’. In 1951 it launched the PLR 8, a very powerful bus, but already dated. It was only in 1955 with the PCP 10 that Berliet was able to enter the profitable Parisian transport fleet, until then dominated by Renault. After the Second World War the RATP (Régie Autonome des Transports Parisiens) had expanded its suppliers list, and from 1950 started to use the Somua OP5 (see part seven, no. 20), an innovative bus with an almost all-steel closed body by Million-Guiet-Tubauto (MGT), which was more comfortable for driver and passengers. A very reliable bus, the OP5 modernised the Parisian fleet, slowly replacing the old open platform buses, which had been a real Parisian trademark. In 1955 the RATP choose to try the Berliet PCP10, using the same body of the OP5-3 by MGT (only the front grille was different), and ordered 100 buses, with a diesel Berliet six-in-line engine developing 145 CV placed longitudinally in the front of the chassis, and fitted with a Wilson pre-selector gearbox. In 1960 a further 50 buses were supplied by Berliet, named PCS10 and using a Somua chassis, easily identified by a more prominent front grille, a reduced front overhang and some minor details. More liked than the Somua, the Berliets were phased out in 1972.

The scale model sports the classic dark green and cream livery of the RATP. It is quite a large model with a plastic body, a metal chassis and the usual plastic added parts. Underside details are present, the exhaust is silver painted and there is a rear tow hitch. On both sides there are “Conord” ads, while in the rear there is a “Chantelle” one, all very agreeable.

The destination plate reads “#73 – Puteaux – Louis Blanc”, the route starting at the Paris Hotel de Ville and ending at Puteaux, a commune in the western suburbs of Paris, located in the heart of the Hauts-de-Seine department. It is host to La Défense, Paris’ business district with the tallest buildings in the metropolitan area. There isn’t a standard registration plate, because until March 2003 RATP buses used special registration plates with their own serial number. The interior is fairly detailed and it is fitted with nice four-leaf doors and large windows. No apparent differences to the French edition exist. Indeed another beautiful model, very likely a smart re-use of a previous mould (no. 20, Somua OP5).


No. 80 (no. 103 in the French collection) Saviem E7 1970 – We have already seen the 1965 Saviem SC10 U (see part thirteen, no. 39) and the 1960 SC1 (see part twenty-four, no. 71), and how at the end of 1955 Renault, facing strong competition from Berliet and lacking factory capacity decided to unify its forces with Somua and Latil creating LRS Saviem (Latil-Renault-Somua Société Anonyme de Véhicules Industriels et d’Equipments Mécaniques), later incorporating Isobloc and Chausson. But during the 1960s the competition was changing, and the ‘battlefield’ was now the whole of Europe. The innovative products from Setra and Van Hool were international successes and both Berliet and Saviem soon realised the urgent need for a rear engined vehicle, with sufficient power, large luggage spaces beneath the floor, large windows and, very important, a higher level of passenger comfort. Berliet’s prompt answer was the Crusair range (see part eight, no. 22, and part twenty-one, no. 62), but Saviem was seriously disadvantaged : it was lacking the ‘know-how’ (Isoblocs were its last rear engined buses), had to build a new assembly line and was forced to launch the new bus if possible at the same time as Berliet. The result was the E7, presented in May 1969, a bus with a modern angular shape, a modular body for different versions, large windows and symmetrical front and rear sides, excellent comfort, a powerful longitudinal rear engine by MAN, but …. the vehicle suffered from the hasty development. Problems quickly appeared in service: with the electrical system, the heating system, and even the body structure itself. Disappointed users’ complaints soon became public and, despite making changes to resolve the problems, market confidence evaporated. Less than 3,500 units were produced, with many exported to Africa.

The quite large scale model shows faithfully the E7L‘s angular shape. As usual there is a plastic body and metal chassis, and it is finished in a cream and gold livery. The interior is basic though there is a nicely detailed driver’s cockpit. There are very detailed side windows and roof lights. Many separate small plastic parts are used, and excellent decoration, even the small details between the side windows are captured.

However, the Saviem logo is difficult to read (silver print on gold paint). It is a replica of a bus of the Société des Transports Allauzen, based in Joyeuse, a commune in the Ardèche department in the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region in southern France. Voyages Sotra are now part of Voyages Ginhoux, a family business founded in 1830 to transport goods and passengers in the Ardèche region. It is fitted with a correct “07” registration plate. There are no apparent differences to the French edition. It is a worthy reproduction of an “unlucky” bus.


Unnumbered (no. 53 in the French collection) Fiat 418 AC Cameri 1972 – As already stated in part five, Italian Hachette offered its subscribers a model of a Fiat 418, a 1972 Cameri from the AMT of Genova, (no. 53 in the French collection). I did not qualify to receive one as I prefer to buy collections at a news stand in order to avoid delays, or problem with the mail. Luckily it was quite easy to find the 418 Cameri on eBay to complete the collection.

We have already met the Fiat products and in particular the 418 (see part five, no. 13), a typical urban bus adopted in all the large cities of Italy to replace the ageing 409 and 410. It was of the same general design, a separate chassis fitted with a longitudinal engine placed centrally under the floor. The usual body was by Cameri, already absorbed into Fiat Group in 1936 and operating under the CANSA name (see part 10, no. 28), but the chassis was also made available to outside specialised bodywork manufacturers like Portesi, Pistoiesi, Breda, Dalla Via, Padane and Menarini. The 418 was equipped with the Fiat 8200.12 diesel engine, a flat straight six, of 9,819CC developing 143 kw of power. Some versions had an automatic gearbox, but a manual gearbox was also available.

The scale model, based on a preserved vehicle, has a plastic body and a metal baseplate with little detail. It is finished in an orange and grey livery, typical of Genoa (Genova) in the North of Italy, one of the most important ports on the Mediterranean. The shape is well reproduced, with nice details, but inside the seats are poorly coloured (it could be specific to this example). It has very nice front and rear ends, and the rear lights are excellent.

The destination plate reads “Brignole – San Nicolò”, where Brignole is the main railway station and San Nicolò is a village belonging to the municipality of Genova, on its west side. A correct registration plate is featured. A good choice, a bus warmly remembered.

Conclusions

The collection has now ended and it is time to draw some conclusions. The choice of subjects was quite interesting and rightly included all the Italian buses from the French collection and a selection of all the others. Though it must be said that after the decision to extend the partwork from sixty to eighty models, it then copied the French one, offering the same models issued in France a couple of weeks later. It is very likely that Italian collectors might have preferred some of the previous models from the larger French collection whichdid not appeared in the first 60 of the Italian collection, like the Hispano Suiza or the Floirat.

It is possible to see the whole French collection on the web on a very interesting site. All the models have been of really high quality and have been excellent value for money. Packaging was quite basic, but was effective at avoiding any damage, but due to the wildly different sizes and shapes no clear plastic box was provided. If the collection had one problem it is the sheer size of the collection’s models. You need a very large space to display or even just to store them! A problem well known to a lot of collectors. Happy collecting!


We welcome your comments and questions.   Please go to our Model Auto Review Facebook page,  or email us at maronlineeditor at gmail.com.

Hachette Italy World Buses Part 26

By Fabrizio Panico

All text and photographs by, and copyright of, the Author unless otherwise stated.

Parts 76 – 78

Here three more buses from the Italian Hachette partwork “Autobus dal mondo”, a collection of eighty 1:43 scale bus models, very similar to the French series “Autobus et autocars du monde”, produced in Bangladesh for Ixo. Two French “police” buses, Interesting to some, but a disappointing choice for Italian collectors, and a bus with a long lifespan from the Netherlands.

No. 76 (no. 99 in the French collection) Lohr L96 Laboratoire IRCGN 1996 Lohr Industrie is a French group, based in Duppigheim (Strasbourg) specialising in the design, manufacture and marketing of goods transport systems, both on iron and rubber, and in military supplies. In 1993 the acquisition of Colmar’s famous coachbuilder Gangloff gave access to the bus market. In the mid-nineties the French Gendarmerie decided to renew part of its fleet of vehicles : the choice fell on the L96, a model of which Lohr manufactured body and fittings, whilst the German MAN supplied the chassis, the wheels and all the mechanical parts. It had a frame of metal beams with welded elements, and a body made of steel, aluminium and polyester. It was powered by a six cylinder inline diesel engine made by MAN with 220 hp, and was fitted with a Voit automatic gearbox and pneumatic suspension. The vehicle was designed to transport 25 men and their equipment, but its career was rather short. It proved to be unsuited to its intended use as it was too large to move nimbly in urban spaces, so the Gendarmerie preferred to go back to small mobile units, like the Irisbus Daily.

One of the few remaining L96 units was transformed in the “Lab’Unic”, allocated to the IRCGN (Institut de Recherche Criminelle de la Gendarmerie Nationale) : a mobile analysis laboratory, which could be driven directly to the site of an accident or crime. Inside the bus there was a control centre for radio and satellite transmissions, a scientific laboratory with microscopes and spectrometers and a photographic laboratory. The “Lab’Unic” carried enough power sources to power all the equipment on site without the need for a power hook up. It is perhaps interesting to note that the Gendarmerie Nationale is one of two national police forces of France, along with the Police Nationale. While the Gendarmerie is a branch of the French Armed Forces with responsibility in smaller towns, rural and suburban areas, the Police Nationale is a civilian force, in charge of large towns, cities and their suburbs.

The scale model faithfully reproduces this one-off vehicle, very likely based on one preserved by the French Gendarmerie. It has a plastic body and metal baseplate, with only limited details on the baseplate. It also has the usual array of small plastic parts, like rear-mirrors (a nice triple set in this case), lights and so on. It wears a blue livery with white roof, with all the emblems of the Gendarmerie and of the IRCGN. A well modelled driver’s area, but a poor interior with no attempt made to reproduce the scientific apparatus. The long white box on the right side of the vehicle is probably to house an awning to be deployed when needed.

The registration plate is correct and is specific to the French Armed Forces: It starts with a number to identify the army unit (2 for Gendarmerie, 6 for the Army, 7 for the Air Force, 8 for the Navy and 9 for the General Services) this is followed by two digits to identify the year of car registration (97 for 1997) then follows a number to identify the type of vehicle (1 for cars and coaches, 3 for lorries, etc.) and finally four numbers from 0001 to 9999. The registration plates also bear the symbol of the army unit the vehicle belonged to, for instance a black anchor on a French flag for the Navy, or the eight-pointed deer horns, like our model, for the Gendarmerie.

There are no apparent differences to the French edition. More a curiosity, than a bus to remember.


No. 77 (no. 100 in the French collection) Irisbus Agora TPI Police Nationale 2002 Irisbus was founded in 1999 by the merger of the bus division of Renault with the Iveco bus division (and the later acquisition of Ikarus-bus), it was jointly controlled by Iveco and Renault Véhicules Industriels (RVI) until 2001, when it came under the full control of Iveco (Fiat Group). In 2006, the Ikarus-bus was ceded to the Hungarian Muszertechnika, while Irisbus got the entire property of the French Heuliez and the Czech Karosa. Since 2013, Irisbus was renamed Iveco Bus, a business division of Iveco, owned by CNH Industrial Group. All new buses from then on were sold under the Iveco brand.

In 1987 RVI presented the R312, the successor to the robust but dated SC10 (see part thirteen, no. 39). The squared shape offered a superior level of comfort and brightness, even though it still lacked a low floor. The R312 announced the arrival in 1996 of the Agora, the first French bus with a lowered floor. Starting from 2002 the production of the Agora range was entrusted to Irisbus : the lozenge, the Renault trademark sign, was replaced by the dolphin, logo of Irisbus, and the Renault engine by an Iveco Cursor 8. The Agora was a very reliable model, and a technical and commercial success : over 11,000 units made up to 2005, when it was replaced by the Citelis.

The scale model reproduces a special version of the Agora S, a TPI (Transport de Personnes Interpellées), a vehicle used by police forces for the transportation of “prisoners” who were carried inside a specially adapted set of cells inside the vehicle itself (a sort of “Black Maria”). The conversion of the vehicle was performed by Vehixel Carrossier Constructeur, a French manufacturer of buses, armoured vans and military vehicles. In the French collection the model is classed as a 1987 bus, but the presence of the Irisbus logo seems to disprove it. It has a plastic body and metal baseplate as usual, and the white livery sports the red and blue side bands which are characteristic of the Police Nationale. Near the front doors the DOSTL logo is featured (Direction Opérationnelle des Services Techniques et Logistiques), a branch of the Paris Police Prefecture.

This is probably based on a preserved vehicle. It has nice wheels and windows, but again a poor interior. The many printed emblems like Vehixel, Agora and the Irisbus “dolphin” have been very well reproduced. There is a correct registration plate. Here it shows the département code (75 for Paris), a letter to indicate in which area the vehicle was authorised to operate (D for the départment, R for the region, N for the national territory, E for the European Union), a dash, then four numbers from 1001 to 9999, and a final letter.

There are again no apparent differences to the French edition. Another curiosity.


No. 78 (no. 101 in the French collection) Bova Futura FHD 1987 – The Bova company can trace its origins to a timber business founded in 1878 by Jacob Bots in Valkenswaard, near Eindhoven, in the Netherlands. In 1910, when the first car bodies were made, its name was changed to Bova, from BOts and VAlkenswaard. In 1931 the company began building bus bodywork on a variety of chassis and in 1954 started making whole coaches, with engines by Mercedes-Benz, Scania or DAF.

Its first self-supporting integral coach, the Benelux, was introduced in 1969, to be replaced by the Europa and then by the Futura in 1982. The Futura featured a very distinctive convex aerodynamic front which inspired the model’s name, in contrast to the angular lines of the Europa, the prominent “bulge” below the windscreen remaining a distinctive feature through successive facelifts until the introduction of the Futura 2 model in 2010. The streamlined Futura was an almost unexpected success, and the use of DAF engines promoted in 1989 a joint venture between Bova and DAF (United Bus), which was unfortunately short-lived. The strong competition in the market pushed Bova in 2003 to merge into the VDL Groep, an international industrial and manufacturing company established in 1953 by Pieter van der Leegte, hence the name VDL, a group which already owned the coachbuilder Jonckheere and the DAF Bus International operations. The vehicles were branded VDL Bova until 2010, then simply VDL. Like many other manufacturers Bova used a type code naming, eg FHD means a Futura bus (F), with high floor (H, while L was for the low one) and DAF engine (D, while M was for Mercedes-Benz), usually followed by some numbers indicating the bus length and the engine power. Total Futura production was more than 11,000 units and over the years it was subject to several facelifts, with the style of headlights providing the most immediately recognisable visual difference.

A plastic body and metal baseplate form the basis of this model sporting the white and blue livery of the Bakker Travel B.V., a North Holland company providing passenger transport for more than 35 years. With a fleet of about 40 buses and coaches it is headquartered in Wormerveer, a town part of the Zaanstad municipality, about 13 km northwest of Amsterdam. A well detailed baseplate is fitted, and it has the usual small added parts. Yet again the interior is poor with seats lacking any space for the passengers legs. Although the rear-mirror supports, the wipers and the lights are all good the rear indicators seem a bit fragile.

Yet again no apparent differences to the French edition. Another wise choice by Hachette.


Hachette Italy World Buses Part 25

By Fabrizio Panico

All text and photographs by, and copyright of, the Author unless otherwise stated.

Parts 73 to 75

After a short delay (sorry), here is the 25th part of my summary of the Italian Hachette partwork “Autobus dal mondo”, a collection of eighty 1:43 scale bus models, very similar to the French one “Autobus et autocars du monde”, produced in Bangladesh for Ixo. Here we’ll see another GM “New Look”, an interesting (but not very successful) Italian Fiat and an iconic Chausson.


No. 73 (no. 96 in the French collection) General Motors “New Look” TDH-5303 1965 – We have already seen the GM history and how the New Look bus (see part 20, no. 59) was introduced in 1959 to replace the previous transit buses, soon becoming an iconic North American sight, and gaining the “fishbowl” nickname after its six-piece rounded windscreen. The huge window surfaces, the higher and longer body and the more “dynamic” styling (a bit reminiscent of the Scenicruiser) made the New Look very welcome to the public, especially when compared to the slightly clumsy “Old Look”. The denomination (TDH-5303) says it all: a transit bus (T), diesel engined (D) and with a hydraulic transmission (H), a long chassis (53 for 12,20 metres), third series (03). Indeed the four series are all aesthetically very similar, only the GM monogram and the interior design underwent modifications.

This scale model sports the dark green and grey livery of the Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority, with a plastic body and metal baseplate, it is well detailed and has an added silver exhaust. It is a very large model, with a correct interior and driver’s area. Based on the previous model of the New Look TDH-5301 (no. 59) the only difference seems to be the addition of a box on the roof, very likely an air conditioning system, plus new rear lights and engine panel. A few reflectors have been added on the sides, but the chassis still indicates TDH 5301. The route is 41, from White Plains Road (Bronx) to 142nd Street (Upper Manhattan). There are no apparent differences to the French edition. Another smart re-use of a previous mould, but we would have preferred something new!


No. 74 (no. 97 in the French collection) FIAT 412 Aerfer 1961 – A double decker in Rome? Why not! In 1905 a Thornycroft 24 HP double decker bus was seen on Roman roads used bySocietà Romana Tramways Omnibus (SRTO), and in 1930 the Lancia Omicron Duplex was seen in Campidoglio Square, only to be surpassed in 1932 by a gargantuan “two deckers and a half” on the road from Rome to Tivoli. Beautiful pictures of them all can be found at the following web page. Established in 1909 as AATM, the Roman transport company changed its name almost immediately to ATM (Municipal Tramways Company) and started its commercial service in 1911. It then gradually absorbed SRTO‘s lines and rolling stock, which ran most of the urban tramways network. In 1926 the City of Rome was replaced by the Governorship of Rome, ATM changed its name to ATG, and two years later to ATAG (Bus and Tramways Company of the Governorship). In 1944, the city returned to its original status, so the ATAG became ATAC.

In the 1960s, following the withdrawal of the tramways network there was a drastic reduction of transport capacity, ATAC decided to try double deckers again, which had not been very successful in the 1930s. Two prototypes were tested in 1964, built on a Fiat 412 chassis, derived from the contemporary 410 and improved through a double skeleton of longitudinal and cross beams (for the Fiat history see part 8 no. 23). The bodywork was of aeronautical type, developed by AERFER of Naples using a stiffened shell structure in light aluminium alloy (Costruzioni Aeronautiche e Ferroviarie, Aeronautical and Railway Constructions, later merged in Aeritalia). The engine was a six cylinder diesel developing 176 HP, installed in a semi-horizontal position and placed transversely at the rear. The floor was partially lowered between the two axles, with three quadruple doors and two inside staircases to the upper floor, the front one for the ascent and the rear for the descent. But the 412 had been designed for characteristics entirely different from the Italian ones (a South American order, later cancelled), and soon the 412 revealed itself to be unsuitable for the road network of Rome. The people, fearful of being unable to get off at the desired stop, preferred to crowd the lower floor (which could contain 12 persons seated and 80 standing), leaving the 45 seats of the upper deck unused. Only 58 of these buses were used by ATAC, out of the ten years production total of only 127 units. Many large Italian towns tested the 412 (Bari, Bologna, Florence, Naples, Verona), but with poor results.

The scale model is based on a bus from Florence, route 17 from Viale Duse to Piazza Puccini (roughly from Coverciano to the Cascine park). The model is superb: made with a metal lower body and plastic upper body and chassis. It is well detailed and quite heavy. Livery is the typical green bicolour of Italian buses of the era, enhanced by an aluminium fascia, and the printed lettering is accurate. However, the interior is poor, spoiled by metal supports, and the staircases are only partially modelled. Good value for money despite this. There are no apparent differences to the French edition. Hachette must be congratulated for the choice of such a rare vehicle.


No. 75 (no. 98 in the French collection) Chausson APH 47 1947 – Nice to meet Chausson and its products again. After the 1950 APH (see part five, no. 14), the 1956 ANG coach (see part eighteen, no. 53) and the 1953 APU/53 (see part twenty two, no. 66), it is now the turn of the 1947 APH 47 to appear in the collection. Based in the Paris region from 1907, and a initially a supplier of components to the automotive industry, after the 1930s Chausson started producing car and unitary bus bodies. During the post war boom Chausson supplied thousands of buses to many French cities, but in 1959 Saviem acquired all their bus related activities and Chausson left that market. After the Second World War the first Panhard engined buses were soon joined by a petrol Hotchkiss engined one, this choice needed to extend the bus front cover to accommodate it. So was born the “nez de cochon” or “pig’s nose”, which later became the standard design. In 1947, APH 47 was the new name of the previous APH2, powered by a four-in-line Panhard diesel engine, developing 100 HP. A light and efficient vehicle, it was constantly improved in the following years leading to strong sales. It was employed by the RATP mainly on suburban lines, but it was found everywhere else in France.

A plastic body and metal baseplate feature on this model sporting the classic RATP livery: dark green and cream. There is a well detailed baseplate, and the model has all the usual small added parts. Again this model has a poor interior, the seats seem to lack any space for the passengers legs. It is quite similar to the APU/53 (no. 66), but it is likely that they are from different moulds. The route shown is 297, from Porte d’Orléans to Chilly Mazarin, a commune in the southern suburbs of Paris, about 17 km from the centre of town, near Orly International Airport. The adverts on the side are very interesting: Dubonnet Quinquina was an aromatised wine-based aperitif, containing a small amount of quinine. It was created in 1846 in response to a competition run by the French Government to find a way of persuading French Foreign Legionnaires in North Africa to drink quinine (It is very bitter, but was needed to combat malaria). In the Italian partwork booklet the model is shown with a smaller decal, but the model sports the wider one, like the French model. On the rear of the bus there is an ad for the “Le Chat” soaps, cube-shaped soaps produced originally in Marseille, but now taken over by Henkel.

There are no apparent differences to the French edition. A model of a bus much loved by all the French.


Berliet 6×4 Mixer – Updated

By Mick ‘Mixxy’ Russell

All text and photographs by, and copyright of, the Author unless otherwise stated.

Editors Note: This article has been revised and re-issued as the Editor had introduced issues into the article during the editing process. Our apologies.

The last of the Berliet Site Trucks

Hachette produced a series of Berliet trucks to 1:43 scale with at least 30 parts issued to date. The model shown below was issued as #24 in the series in late 2018.

Berliet GRH 230 6×4 MIXER

This model was the first 6×4 lightweight Berliet with a tilting cab. It was a useful size, economical, and one of the last Berliet trucks made from 100% Berliet parts. The next series marketed by owners Renault V.I. will have a Berliet driveline, but will be fitted with a Saviem cab.

To counter the competition of Daf 2205 trucks in France and the Mercedes 2624B in Germany, Paul Berliet launched a truck targeted at the construction industry in 1976. This was the GRH 230 6×4. It was aimed at providing a truck that could cope with difficult sites. This mid-range truck was intended to operate on construction sites in urban or suburban areas. The chassis was equipped with various types of bodies: a light tipper; a tanker, or a concrete mixer of 6 to 7 cubic meters.

In 1974 Michelin owners of Citröen and Berliet sold Berliet to the State so that it merged with State owned Renault‘s truck division. An injection of resources allowed Berliet to design a new engine which would last in Berliet derived vehicles for over twenty years. This was the engine, the MIDS 06.20.30 equipped with a turbocharger, that was fitted to the GRH 230 6×4 when it was launched at the Expomat Show in May 1976. The GRH 230 x4 was the first vehicle to benefit from this new high-performance, economical and lower emissions engine.

The engine is coupled to a ZF S.6.90 gearbox plus a gearbox giving twelve “forward” and two “rear” gears to give a maximum road speed of 92 km/h. The two rear wheels feature double reduction (gearbox in the hubs), and they transmit only half of the final effort to the wheels. A total payload of up to 19 tons is possible.

The new truck is equipped with the KB 2 200 Berliet- Citroën tilting cab designed by Louis Lucien Lepoix (Form Technic International in Neuilly) in 1968. Built from sheet metal, the cabin can be tilted 55%, enabling easy access to the engine. For day-to-day checks, the front panel has two stacked doors behind which you find all the tank fillers: hydraulic circuits, wiper motor, windshield wiper, heating, dipstick, etc.

The model is a nice representation of the real thing in 1:43 scale. It has some cast-in under chassis details such as the prop-shaft, engine and air cleaner. The mixer unit is also a good representation of a drum of that period.