Auto Cult November 2017

By Maz Woolley

All photographs supplied by, and copyright of , Auto Cult.

Another release from Autocult with a wide range of subjects. All are made in resin in China to 1:43 scale for Germany.

Early Years of Motoring Series

#01005 Fiat S76 “Beast of Turin“ 1911

Nicknamed “The Beast of Turin” this  28.35 Litre four cylinder Fiat was built to beat the records created by the “Blitzen-Benz”. The huge cylinders with three spark plugs produced  290hp and were mounted in a  very basic chassis. Racing at Brooklands the car was timed at nearly 200KPH. Attempts on the Benx records failed as the speed could only be broken in one direction of the record attempt.

The Auto Cult model captures the car well with fine wire wheels and the chain drive nicely captured.

 

 

Engineer’s Limited Production Series

#05019 Beutler Special Cabriolet 1953

Swiss brothers Ernst and Fritz Beutler  built attractive bodywork with Bentley’s amongst the chassis they clothed. In 1948 Porsche cars were given attractive bodies.

In the early 1950s they created an attractive Volkswagen Beetle based cabriolet with a supercharged and tuned engine. Attractive though it was Volkswagen did not take up the proposals as they were already working on a similar car with Karmann in Germany.

 

Racing Cars Series

#07008 VW Transporter T1 Double Cab Long pickup 1963

Hardly a racing car itself this long backed Volkswagen Transporter was built to carry Volkswagen racing cars as well as their mechanics.  This vehicle will make a nice companion to the Ford Thames with long back for racing cars already made by Auto Cult.

These “DoKa’s” as the double cab is known were popular across Europe and even in the United States.

Camping Vehicles Series

#09005 Johnson Wax House Car 1939

Designed by Brook Stevens famous for the Jeep Grand Cherokee Wagoneer and Harley Davidson FLH Hydra Glide. This vehicle was based upon a bus chassis and created for S.C.Johnson and Sons the famous US polish makers.

The big camper was presented at a fair in New York 1939. By the standards of the time the interior was markedly luxurious. The facilities included running water, a separate bathroom, a gas powered refrigerator and a foldout desk. Even a small laboratory was on-board. The boss of S.C. Johnson & Son, Inc., Herbert F. Johnson, planned to use the motorhome in Brazil, where his company was in search of carnauba palms. From the leaves of the carnauba palm they obtained the so-called carnauba wax, which was used as a versatile lubricant. However the search was abandoned in 1940 and the vehicle returned  home to Wisconsin.

When the USA entered the Second World War the motorhome got a ‘second life’ and served as a mobile recruiting office for soldiers in the state Wisconsin. Later it was used as a mobile blood donation centre, before it vanished without a trace.


We welcome your comments and questions.   Please go to our Model Auto Review Facebook page,  or email us at maronlineeditor @ gmail.com.